WHERE TO WATCH:
2019 marks the 15th year for “America’s Toughest Stage Race,” seven days of heart-pounding racing in northern Utah from Aug. 12 to 18. This year, 17 men’s professional teams will log 477 miles in the UCI 2.HC cycling stage race, and cover 37,822 feet of elevation gain. It is the sixth year for the Tour to be sanctioned as a 2.HC-rated (Hors Categorie) stage race by the Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI), making it one of the premier events for professional cycling teams in North America.
All seven days will be covered nationally by FOX Sports (FS2) as well as international programming including Eurosport in Europe, Supersport in South Africa, Fubo in Canada, and ESPN in South America. It continues as the only UCI stage race in the North America that offers a free, live webcast from start to finish for the entire week, thanks to Tour Tracker powered by Adobe. All the national cycling media provide coverage each day as well.
Whether it is the Tour de France or the Tour of Utah, cycling is one of the most unique professional sports on the globe as access to the field of play is free for spectators. The best way to see the suffering on climbs, to feel the whirl of speed at finish lines, and to experience the kaleidoscope of activities in each host community is to attend the race in person.
Listed below are all the family-friendly, free activities associated with the Tour of Utah, from the Team Presentation held before race week to some of the favorite spots along all the courses to watch the pros.
Note: all times are MT and subject to change.
Tour of Utah Team Presentation
Saturday, Aug. 10, teams introduced at 4:30-6 p.m.
Activities begin 12 p.m.; live music 6:30-8:30 p.m.
stage next to Aerial Tram and The Forklift
The annual Team Presentation will be held on Saturday, Aug. 10 at Snowbird Center, on the Plaza Deck between the Aerial Tram and The Forklift restaurant. The first of 17 teams will be introduced at 4:30 p.m. The event is free to the general public. Limited hospitality tickets will be available for $125 per person, which include reserved seating, food/beverage service and VIP access to athletes. The top riders from each team will be interviewed by one of the race announcers. Spectators are encouraged to bring a camera to capture photos of favorite athletes. Stay for live music following the program.
A full assortment of activities and local vendors will be part of the festivities at Snowbird Center on Saturday. Some lucky fans will go home with a prize from several Tour of Utah giveaways, including bicycles, overnight stays at Snowbird Resort, and other items. VIPs can enjoy a hospitality area at Fork Lift with plenty of amenities. Stay after the formal introduction of teams and riders for Snowbird’s Cool Air Concert Series. The Low Down Brass Band is the headliner, playing from 7-8:30 p.m. Dan Weldon is the opener playing from 6-6:45 p.m.
EVERY DAY DURING RACE WEEK:
- Ford Fan Zone – A reserved space will be available at finish lines on a first-come, first-serve basis for 200 pectators for all seven days of racing. Fans will receive complimentary merchandise from Ford and the Tour of Utah. It is fun and it is free. Sponsored by Ford.
- Ford Fan Parade – Official Ford Tour vehicles will drive along the course at designated finish line areas to give away complimentary merchandise to spectators each day. Check the web site for details.
- BISH RV’s Ride with a Team – Ever want to see and hear what goes on inside an official team vehicle before a day of racing? Join one of the Tour of Utah teams in their RV and ride from the start to the finish of Stage 3. Winners not only get to watch the race from the team RV, they'll also get VIP Hospitality passes for both the start and the finish lines as well.The contest launched mid-July. One lucky winner will receive this exclusive access, along with VIP passes to the stage.
- Ford Eco-Sport Lease Contest – Race fans can enter a Ford contest at all Tour of Utah Street Team events, and at the KUTV 2 Lifestyle Expo during the first five days of racing (Prologue and Stages 1 to 4). On Friday, Aug. 16, 10 lucky winners will be selected to attend Stage 6 in Park City. On Monday, Aug. 19, one overall winner will receive a two-year lease on a Ford Eco-Sport, along with Yakima bike racks and two bicycles.
- Caravan Vehicle Sale – Don’t miss your exclusive chance to purchase one of the Tour of Utah official Ford vehicles. Ten of the official Tour of Utah Eco-Sport vehicles will be available for purchase post race, complete with bike rakes and a bicycle. Visit www.tourofutah.com for more details and sale location. Returning Favorites
- Rider Sign-In and Wildlife Generation Autograph Alley – Spectators will be allowed to interact with the professional athletes as they walk along Autograph Alley to the Sign-In stage. Race announcers will interview athletes from the stage, providing insights before the high-speed action commences. All photos and signatures are free for spectators. There is no Rider Sign-In on Aug. 12 for the Prologue, but grab a spot near the Start House to see each individual in the race against the clock. Sponsored by Wildlife Generation.
- KUTV 2 Healthy Living Expo – Plan to arrive early to any of the seven finish line host venues and spend some time at the KUTV 2 Healthy Living Expo. This free, interactive festival area and sponsor showcase serves as a gateway to the finish line every day. It provides an array of interactive exhibits, official Tour merchandise and live entertainment, including jumbo television screens to watch the race unfold as it heads to the finish. Listed below are the street addresses for each day’s finish line of the race, and the hours for the KUTV 2 Healthy Living Expo:
- America First Credit Union Fan Favorite – Each day during the race fans can cast votes online for their favorite athletes in various categories, such as best climber or most promising rookie. The athlete who receives the most votes each day will be recognized as the America First Credit Union Fan Favorite and receives a special award jersey. One fan will be chosen in a random drawing from ballots cast to receive a Tour of Utah gift bag and $100 Visa gift card, courtesy of America First Credit Union. It’s a win-win contest.
- Podium Award T-shirt Giveaway – At the conclusion of each day’s race, top athletes will be recognized in an awards ceremony with special jerseys, such as the Larry H. Miller Dealerships Leader jersey and Utah Sports Commission Sprint jersey. These winners will autograph limited-edition, replica T-shirts for each award jersey and toss them into the crowd. Fans are encouraged to catch one-of-a-kind Tour of Utah SWAG (stuff we all get).
- Sprint to the Finish Kids’ Bike Races presented by University of Utah Health – Children ages five to 12 have the opportunity to race their bicycles near the finish line used by the pros at six race locations. Two great reasons to participate - it’s free and it’s fun! To participate, a parent or guardian must sign a waiver at the University of Utah Health exhibit in the KUTV 2 Healthy Living Expo. Make sure each child brings his or her helmet, closed-toe shoes and a bicycle! Registration ends 15 minutes prior to each race (times listed are start times):
- Tuesday, Aug. 13 -- North Logan City (1:30 p.m.)
- Wednesday, Aug. 14 -- Brigham City (1 p.m.)
- Thursday, Aug. 15 -- North Salt Lake (1:30 p.m.)
- Friday, Aug. 16 -- Salt Lake City (6 p.m.)
- Saturday, Aug. 17 - Canyons Village at Park City Mountain (3 p.m.)
- Sunday, Aug. 18 -- Park City (1 p.m.)
Monday, Aug. 12 Snowbird Resort - 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. 100 Little Cottonwood Canyon (Iron Blosam parking area)
Tuesday, Aug. 13 North Logan City - 11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. 2799 N. 300 E. (next to George S. Eccles Ice Center)
Wednesday, Aug. 14 Powder Mountain Resort - 12 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. 6965 E Powder Mountain Rd, Eden (next to Sky Lodge/Hidden Lake Lodge)
Thursday, Aug. 15 North Salt Lake - 12 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. 1110 E Eaglewood Dr (Eaglewood Golf Club)
Friday, Aug. 16 Salt Lake City - 4:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. 315 E Capitol Blvd. (southeast lawn area of Capitol)
Saturday, Aug. 17 Canyons Village at Park City Mountain - 1 p.m. to 8 p.m. 4000 Canyons Resort Dr., Park City (public area at top of Cabriolet Lift) free Summer Concert Series with The Honey Hounds begins 6 p.m.
Sunday, Aug. 18 Park City - 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. 250 Main St.
Sprint to the Finish Locations